Sun., Oct. 3, 2-4 PM & Mon., Oct. 4, 7-9 PM|
AUDITIONS (Grades 8-12)
Register today for an audition slot for THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE!
Time & Location
Sun., Oct. 3, 2-4 PM & Mon., Oct. 4, 7-9 PM
Rochester, 875 E Main St, Rochester, NY 14605, USA
About the Event
THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE MUSICAL AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
For Students in Grades 8 - 12
Directed by Erin McKenna Arvizzigno
Music Directed by Joseph Janover
Choreographed by Katya Lyubomirsky
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Sunday, October 3, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Monda, October 4, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
For an audition appointment:
- Sign in to the MyStages Parent Portal at http://bit.ly/MyStages.
- (Create an account if you don't have one yet.)
- Click on Youth Membership.
- Update the member profile for each student, especially contact information, school and grade info for 2021-2022, and medical and emergency contact information.
- Select the student, and click on Join (or Enroll in) a Program.
- Select the School Year 2021-2022 Season.
- Select a Program.
- Select the audition session.
- Click the Process button.
*Please review the Rehearsal Schedule and Commitment Calendar, which has been provided in calendar form. Please be sure you can attend all rehearsals and performances.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Wednesday, October 6, 8:00 - 9:30 p.m.
Calling performers in Grades 8 - 12 -- serious performers willing to work as part of a team to share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition, as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun, as well as a valuable experience. Each cast member is crucial to the success of the show.
- A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
- A resume, if available
- Sheet music (not CD’s) in a binder for your audition song in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online — www.sheetmusicplus.com or www.musicnotes.com for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
- Appropriate, comfortable clothes and shoes for movement (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) You will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
- Prepare 16-32 bars from an upbeat musical theatre song in a style similar to the show. Select a song you have a strong connection with, and cut to the moments in the song that show-off your voice the best. Please do not choose a song from the show.
- How to prepare your accompaniment music for auditions: If copied, hole-punch the music and put in a binder. The music should be on the front and back of each page. If only printed on one side, tape the pages together so they are back-to-back or put them back to back in a non-glare sleeve. If music is bound, it should lay flat when open.
- If you have questions about what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
Dates vary — see Commitment Calendar (you may not be called for all rehearsals and may only be called for a portion of a rehearsal).
NOTE: Some Rehearsals may be small groups for scenes/songs/dances. You may not be called for all rehearsals and may be scheduled for only a portion of some rehearsals.
- December 10 @ 7:30 p.m.
- December 11 @ 2:00 p.m.
- December 11 @ 7:30 p.m.
- December 12 @ 2:00 p.m.
- $345 Commitment Fee for performance training to develop your talent in singing, movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance is available.
- Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
- Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
An eclectic group of six mid-pubescents vie for the spelling championship of a lifetime. While candidly disclosing hilarious and touching stories from their home lives, the tweens spell their way through a series of (potentially made-up) words, hoping never to hear the soul-crushing, pout-inducing, life un-affirming "ding" of the bell that signals a spelling mistake. Six spellers enter; one speller leaves! At least the losers get a juice box. Winner of the Tony and the Drama Desk Awards for Best Book, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee has charmed audiences across the country with its effortless wit and humor.
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
875 E. Main Street, Suite 380
Third Floor, Auditorium Center
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email Lisa@MJTStages.com.
Hope to see you at the audition!