Nov. 21 (2-4 PM) & Nov. 22 (6:30-8:30 PM)|
AUDITIONS (Grades 6-9)
Register today for an audition slot for 13 THE MUSICAL!
Time & Location
Nov. 21 (2-4 PM) & Nov. 22 (6:30-8:30 PM)
Rochester, 875 E Main St, Rochester, NY 14605, USA
About the Event
13 THE MUSICAL AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
For Students in Grades 6 - 9
Directed by Sara Penner
Music Directed by Susan Dantoni
Choreographed by Shari Bischoping
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Sunday, November 21, 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Monday, November 22, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
For an audition appointment:
- Sign in to the MyStages Parent Portal at http://bit.ly/MyStages.
- (Create an account if you don't have one yet.)
- Click on Youth Membership.
- Update the member profile for each student, especially contact information, school and grade info for 2021-2022, and medical and emergency contact information.
- Select the student, and click on Join (or Enroll in) a Program.
- Select the School Year 2021-2022 Season.
- Select a Program.
- Select the audition session.
- Click the Process button.
*Please review the Rehearsal Schedule and Commitment Calendar, which has been provided in calendar form. Please be sure you can attend all rehearsals and performances.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Tuesday, November 23, 6:30 - 8:30pm
ORIENTATION FOR CAST AND PARENTS:
Wednesday, December 1, 6:00 - 8:30pm
Calling Singers, Dancers, Actors in Grades 6 – 9 -- serious performers willing to work as part of a team to
share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial
backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition,
as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun,
as well as a valuable experience.
- A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
- A resume, if available
- Shoes and appropriate clothes to dance in (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) — you will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
- Sheet music (not CD’s) in a binder for your audition song in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online — www.sheetmusicplus.com or www.musicnotes.com for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
- Vaccination card (age 12 or over)
If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
- Appropriate, comfortable clothes and shoes for movement (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) You will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
- 32 bars from a musical theater song. Pick a song you love to sing, be yourself, and focus on storytelling. Be prepared to sing entire song if asked. Please do not prepare a song from 13 the Musical.
- How to prepare your accompaniment music for auditions: If copied, hole-punch the music and put in abinder. The music should be on the front and back of each page. If only printed on one side, tape the pagestogether so they are back-to-back or put them back to back in a non-glare sleeve. If music is bound, it shouldlay flat when open.
- You will be asked to read a scene — no preparation needed.
- If you have questions about what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
NOTE: Some Rehearsals may be small groups for scenes/songs/dances. You may not be called for all rehearsals and may be scheduled for only a portion of some rehearsals.
- 2/11/22 @ 7:30pm
- 2/12/22 @ 2:00pm
- 2/12/22 @ 7:30pm
- 2/13/22 @ 2:00pm
- $345 Commitment Fee for performance training to develop your talent in singing, movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance is available.
- Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
- Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
A hilarious, coming-of-age musical about discovering that "cool" is sometimes where we least expect
Geek. Poser. Jock. Beauty Queen. Wannabe. These are the labels that can last a lifetime. With an
unforgettable rock score from Tony Award-winning composer, Jason Robert Brown, (Parade, The
Last Five Years, Bridges of Madison County) 13 is a musical about fitting in – and standing out!
Evan Goldman is plucked from his fast-paced, preteen New York City life and plopped into a sleepy
Indiana town following his parents divorce. Surrounded by an array of simpleminded middle school
students, he needs to establish his place in the popularity pecking order. Can he situate himself on a
comfortable link of the food chain... or will he dangle at the end with the outcasts?!?
13 the Musical is a funny, touching and evocative show with a PG-rated script. The musical deals with very real issues that kids face in school and our rehearsal process gives us the opportunity for kids to bond with one another and connect with the adults in their lives about things that they see at school and in their everyday lives. Throughout this process we will talk about the issues of anti-Semitism, homophobia, ableism, bullying, peer pressure, sexual peer pressure, shaming women and girls, and gossip. We will talk about the challenges of simply being a middle school student: longing to fit in, longing to stand out (but not too much), figuring out who your friends are, the pain of realizing that not all of your "friends" (from elementary school) always continue on as your friends as you enter your tweens and teens. We will send home discussion questions for the cast to have with their parents. The gift of this show, (as in all theatre), is that as we explore our characters we will ask ourselves why they say and do what they do, and learn more about the people we want to be in the world. We welcome your questions and dialogue as parents who care about their kids throughout this process and we are so excited to do "13!" with a talented and fabulous group of young people.
Based on guidance from the CDC and in step with Broadway and Rochester area theaters, masks are currently being worn at STAGES by everyone over the age of two. In addition, cast, crew, staff and audience members ages 12 and over must be vaccinated and show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination with ID. Students under 12 are welcome with a mask. Subject to change, effective immediately, as needed.
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
875 E. Main Street, Suite 380
Third Floor, Auditorium Center
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email Carolyn@MJTStages.com
Hope to see you at the audition!